Tappahannock is older than Richmond , Fredericksburg and even Williamsburg . Captain John Smith landed here in 1608 but was driven back to his ship by the local Indians.
Tappahannock (“Tappahannocke”) is an Indian name meaning “on the rise and fall of water.” Rappahannock , the name of the river, means “rise and fall of water.”
In the early 1600’s, Jacob Hobbs established a waterhouse and trading post here and this area was known as “Hobbs His Hole” and later, for a short time, “New Plymouth.”
England desired to establish a port of entry in each county and Benjamin Goodrich sold the crown 50 acres of land for the town site. Today, thirteen homes and buildings are included in Tappahannock’s Historic Landmark District.
Local Economic Development Officer